Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, March 13, 2014
It is a proven fact that the environment we live in has a significant influence on our mental health. As a student, I lived in a cramped apartment for about four years. This apartment, as you might have guessed, was pretty cheap since I was only earning money part-time. I never liked anything about this apartment. This one was in an old building, and had been cheaply renovated to make it eligible for renting out. Clearly, no thought was given to choosing and matching the colors of the walls, tiles, etc. The walls of this apartment room were a really bad shade of blue, such that no matter how powerful a light bulb I used, the room still looked dark and gloomy. The apartment had only one small window, and no balcony. I particularly disliked the kitchen. The walls of the kitchen were painted in bright yellow, while the cabinets were made of wood, and the tiles were green! Can you imagine this combination? I used to HATE going to the kitchen, and as a result, I ended up spending too much on take-out food. Now when I think about the days in that apartment, I get bad vibes.

Not surprisingly, once I landed a good job, the first thing I did was move to a better place. The place that I now live in is just awesome! The rooms have big windows, the walls are nice and colorful, and the kitchen is very nice. I feel refreshed every time I get home after work – yes this place finally qualifies to be called home!

Have you ever had a similar experience? Architects and interior designers unequivocally agree that living space has a significant impact on our well-being, and now consider these aspects when designing homes and commercial spaces. Even neuroscientists and psychologists agree that aesthetics affect our mind, mood, and decision making capabilities. Things like the amount of natural light and breeze coming into the house, the color of the floors and walls, and even our furniture and home accessories affect how we feel, think and perform – both consciously and sub-consciously.

Color theorists point out the importance of harmony in colors when decorating a home. After all, who would like to stay in a place that is painted in colors you don’t like. These things can sometimes be too subtle to be noticed directly but may have significant impact.



Of course, there are limits as to how much we can spend on improving the look and feel of our home. But more often than not, it is about the choices we make (rather than the cost of our purchases) that will have an overall effect in improving the beauty of the place we live in. With a little bit of effort and creativity from your side, you can create spaces that cleverly improve the aesthetics and create more joyful, pleasant, and satisfying experiences.

0 comments: